What are the causes?
There are many ideas about the cause of tinnitus and where it comes from. The thinking is that the most likely cause is damage to the hair cells in the inner ear (cochlea).
In the inner ear, there are inner and outer hair cells which help us hear. These hairs send sounds to the brain for processing. The outer hair cells are more exposed and therefore more easily damaged. So, if this damage occurs, the outer hair cells cannot prevent sound signals reaching the inner hair cells. Consequently, the brain receives unprompted sound signals..
In some cases, the hearing system heightens these sound signals and subsequently we think we can hear noise. We call this noise tinnitus.
It is related to:
- Hearing loss
- Exposure to loud noise
- Stress and worry
- Ear wax build up
- Ear infections
There is currently no known cure for the condition. On the other hand there are treatments and help available. At Leek Hearing Centre, we provide an in-depth consultation and a range of management techniques and tools to relieve the condition. In addition we offer advice, guidance and support.
Clare is a certified British Tinnitus Association (BTA), Tinnitus Advisor and Cognitive Tinnitus Therapy Professional offering tinnitus management consultations. Leek Hearing Centre is also a corporate member of the BTA.
We carry out an initial assessment essential to the success of the Therapy. Our first goal is to get some measurable data. Subsequently we identify and set realistic goals with desired outcomes. And then we create an Individual Care Plan for the patients ongoing treatment.
Our Tinnitus Treatment package (£180.00):
- A 90-minute full diagnostic and hearing assessment including an ear exam with our video-otoscope camera.
- Individual care plan and guidance for the management of the symptoms.
- Complimentary copy of the book ‘Living with tinnitus and hyperacusis’ by Drs Laurence McKenna, David Baguley and Don McFerran (leading UK experts)
- Information packs from the BTA
- Follow-up and support sessions (£80.00)
- Latest from the world of research and the quest for tinnitus relief